Online traffic schools make it easier than ever for drivers to improve their driving records or to satisfy traffic court orders. However, there are numerous online traffic school options from which a motorist will need to choose. Learn more about five of the best Florida online traffic schools available.
Reviews Of The Top 5 Best Florida Online Traffic Schools
With over 20 years of experience educating students in the subjects of defensive driving and traffic safety, I Drive Safely is one of the best online traffic schools in Florida. This agency has earned an A+ rating from the BBB and boasts more state approvals than any other online traffic education provider. The I Drive Safely organization has also earned hundreds of thousands of positive reviews on TrustPilot from actual students, proving it makes a good impression on the students that it serves.
This Florida traffic school is a good choice for everyone, from a driver who is looking to get an insurance premium discount or a motorist that is trying to get his license back after a suspension. Three different programs are available:
- 4-Hour BDI Traffic School: This course will help drivers to add points back onto their driving record, get an auto insurance discount, or help with the dismissal of a traffic citation.
- 8-Hour Traffic School: This course is designed for motorists who have been referred by their local Florida traffic court after receiving two driving-related citations within a year.
- 12-Hour Advanced Driver Improvement: This class is intended for Florida drivers with a suspended license that need to complete coursework before it is reinstated.
While some students may take coursework after being ordered by a Florida judge, the programs are open to all drivers. This online driving school also provides driver’s education in Florida.
Arguably the most entertaining of the Florida traffic school options, the Comedy Traffic School by Improv has served over 3,000,000 happy and satisfied students. This traffic school is approved by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Completion of one of the school’s programs is accepted within all Florida courts.
The Improv Traffic School was started as a classroom course that had the main goal of turning the boring traffic school class into something more entertaining or fun. In fact, each class was headed by a stand-up comedian. While the course has moved to a 100% online format now, the concept is still the same.
Improv Traffic School caters to a variety of drivers with courses specific to their needs, such as classes for insurance discounts and to educate aggressive drivers. The school uses entertaining videos and interactive games in order to make the traffic school experience as fun as possible. Best of all, graduates can improve their driving record or have their tickets dismissed while walking away with two free tickets to an Improv Comedy Club.
The Florida Online Traffic School through the American Safety Council calls itself the state’s original online traffic school. This school has offered courses online for Florida residents since 2000, and it is approved through the Florida DMV. The American Safety Council has earned an A+ accreditation with the BBB, and they are certified by McAfee Secure as Hacker-Safe. They also have positive reviews on Yelp and other review sites across the web by thousands of former customers.
The school offers three classes for students to complete from the comfort of their own homes. The most popular is the four hour traffic school, which is used for traffic ticket dismissal and point removal. This course is broken into seven modules with practice quizzes at the end, and once finished with all of the modules, participants will complete an exam. A passing grade is 80%, and students can take the exam up to three times until a passing grade is earned. Once the exam has been passed, a certificate of completion will be processed.
The Florida Fun Traffic School is part of the National Online Traffic School, Inc. This school has helped over four million students to remove traffic ticket points from their DMV records in Florida, and their defensive driving school has been approved by the Florida DHSMV.
The name of this online traffic school speaks for itself! Florida Fun Traffic School works hard to make its program fun, easy, and convenient for students. Learn from entertaining streaming videos and animations that will keep you interested throughout your mandatory traffic school hours. You won’t feel the minutes ticking away thanks to engaging quizzes.
The courses can be completed at the student’s own pace, and if taken all at once, a participant could finish the program in half a day without ever having to leave their home. Not only can students complete their coursework from a laptop or personal computer, but Smartphone and tablet applications are also available. The final exam is also multiple-choice and completely online and open-book, so there’s no reason to worry about failing.
To be eligible to complete a Florida driver improvement course through the Florida Fun Traffic School, students will need to meet a few important criteria:
- Any traffic citations received must be moving violations, such as speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign, or a turning violation. A ticket for excessive noise or window tint will not make a driver eligible to participate in this Florida online traffic school.
- Drivers must not have completed a course in a Florida online traffic school within 12 months, and they must not have exceeded 5 total attempts at online traffic school.
- Eligibility for this Florida traffic school must be confirmed through the court system.
Drivers wishing to learn more about defensive driving and individuals not looking to have a moving violation dismissed may complete the course at any time.
The Safe2Drive program has been approved by the Florida DMV and aims to make driving in the state safer. Since beginning to offer online courses, the program has served over 200,000 students and provides a money-back guarantee.
The Safe2Drive online traffic school offers five programs:
- Traffic School: This course is for online basic driver improvement. It includes four hours of study online, and after completed successfully, participants can avoid earning points for a traffic ticket.
- Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education (TLSAE): The TLSAE course is four hours in duration, and it meets the requirements to apply for a Learner License.
- Insurance Discount: Safe2Drive offers a course for insurance discounts only, featuring a driver improvement course that can save drivers up to 10% on their insurance premiums.
- Mature Driver: This course is intended for drivers aged 55 years or older, and it consists of a defensive driving course to help motorists earn a discount on their car insurance premiums.
- Wireless Communications Device Driving Safety: This course is for drivers who have received a citation for using a handheld wireless communication device while driving in a school zone, school crossing, or work zone. Drivers may have their points and associate costs waived if they have been court-ordered to take a course.
Going to traffic school doesn’t have to become a major hassle. There are a variety of great online traffic schools in Florida that can help drivers to improve their driving records from the comfort and convenience of their own homes.
Florida Online Traffic School FAQs
What do I do after receiving a traffic citation in Florida?
Drivers who receive a citation must voluntarily elect to enroll in a basic driver education school. This should be done within 30 days of receiving your traffic citation. If a driver fails to volunteer, their right to elect school is forfeited, and their points will be assessed.
Within 30 days after receiving a traffic citation, you must pay the fines and fees that come with the ticket. If a driver fails to pay the citation fees within 30 days, their license will be suspended.
You must also notify the court that you’re electing to attend a basic driver improvement course. From there, drivers need to complete the traffic school course within the court-specified period.
Failure to complete your course by the court-ordered deadline will merit a suspended license.
How long do driver improvement courses take in Florida?
The Basic Driver Improvement course will take a minimum of 4 hours to complete. Offenses that will merit the mandatory completion of this course includes:
- Failure to obey a traffic signal
- Failure to follow a steady red light
- Failure to stop for a school bus
- Racing on the highway, or as a spectator
- Reckless driving
A court-ordered driver improvement course will last 8 hours.
The Advanced Driver Improvement or ADI is for drivers who have accumulated many points over a 12-36 month period. You will need to complete the ADI course if your license has been suspended or if a court orders you to complete the course. You will need 12 hours to complete the ADI course.
Should I attend an online traffic school in Florida?
Yes! Online traffic school is the easiest and most convenient way to complete your mandatory traffic school hours.
Unlike traditional traffic school, where you need to sit in a stuffy classroom all weekend long, online traffic school will allow you to access course material 24/7. That means you can log in and out as you please. Finish the course in your own schedule and at your own pace.
In addition to the above 5 recommended online traffic schools, you have several other options. We recommend you stick with the schools listed above as those are of the highest quality and have received the most positive reviews from students. However, you can get a complete list of all online traffic schools approved in Florida here.
What’s the difference between Driver Improvement, Defensive Driving, & Traffic School?
Please be aware that Florida driver improvement is the same thing as traffic school or defensive driving. Florida simply calls it a different name. So, if you need to take a Florida driver improvement course, all of the above-listed schools will satisfy your court requirements. However, if you need to take online driver’s ed in Florida, check out this page instead.